Don’t Waste Money on an SEO Company;
Find One that Earns Your Money!
A reputable SEO company should be undertaking a number of tasks to give you the most for your money. To begin with they should have already conducted a basic audit of your website and should provide you with an overview of what they have found prior to contract negotiations. If you are being provided a cost prior to an initial audit, avoid that company. You certainly would not agree to your mechanic quoting a price to fix your car before finding out what is wrong so don’t do it with your SEO Company.
Make sure your SEO Company handles these essential tasks:
- Establishing Goals – Your SEO Company’s first and foremost task should be to establish clear goals for your online marketing. Along with establishing goals they should work with you in determining the key performance indicators that will be.
- Keyword Research – The wrong keywords can either turn out to be so competitive that ranking high is almost impossible and can result in drawing the wrong visitors that will not convert. Keyword research can also help in identifying keyword opportunities that the competition has overlooked.
- Technical SEO Audit and Maintenance – S reputable SEO Company should next move onto cleaning up any coding errors and warning on your website. Titles, meta descriptions, broken links and any other errors and warning should be corrected and an ongoing maintenance undertaken to correct any errors that may appear. The initial audit should look at improving the overall UX of the website. A website with quality content found buried in a poor user experience is almost assured to fail in converting visitors.
- Backlink Profile Analysis – Backlinks are one area that can greatly help in search engine rankings but can also result in serious damage if backlinks have been created in violation of webmaster guidelines. A review of your current backlink should be conducted immediately to determine if there are any possible issues. Backlink tactics used in the past can result in penalties that can drop a website in ranking or even result in deindexing. It is therefore imperative that a review is conducted and a report provided with recommendations for action to avoid such penalties. A periodic review is also necessary to detect any new backlinks that have been created without your knowledge.
- Developing Content – An SEO company should assist in developing quality content for your website. Thin and poor quality content will result in visitors leaving your site for another and a stagnate website that has added nothing new in months will slowly decline in rankings. Although your SEO Company may not be an expert in your field they can assist by pointing out areas of the website that are thin on content. Since you should be the expert on your business, you can create rough draft content which they can assist in optimizing prior to publication. Your SEO Company should also be able to assist with distribution of content outside your website through the use of social media.
- Reporting that you understand – Ensure that your SEO provides regular reporting (at least monthly) which should cover all the KPI’s identified, work done in the reporting period and recommendations for future work. Do not settle for simply a report of numbers but one that provides a narrative in non-SEO terms.
Find an SEO Company the doesn’t Waste Your Money
There are a wide variety of other tasks that an SEO company can take on for you and these may include such things as the development of a mobile friendly website, paid advertising, guest blogging, online listing evaluation and assistance with social media marketing. The tasks above merely represent the baseline for work that should be conducted so make sure they are addressed. Finally, make certain that your contract allows you to terminate services if they do not meet your satisfaction. The last thing you want is to be locked into long term contract that does not help improve your website. Remember that it is your money, get the most for it!